Gotta love yourself an easy baked chicken dish to chow down on during a busy week, right?! Sometimes life gets hectic and time to make a homemade meal gets away from us…and if you’re trying to be good during the week and avoid eating out, then those busy days really suck!
This is one of my go-tos if I’m ever feeling stretched for time and energy. Its so simple and the majority of the cook time is just baking the chicken…HALLELUJAH! The broth makes the chicken super juicy and tender, while the spices give it extra flavor! I love the meat from chicken thighs, so that has been my cut of choice as of late, but you could really use any cut of chicken. Especially if serving kids, you may want to try a cut of meat without bones.
You can add veggies to cook with the chicken or just bake it in broth…I have done both and either way works great! Add a side dish, use it as a salad topping, or store in the fridge and eat throughout the week. Also makes as a great option for a group dinner (add the veggies…it’ll really dress it up)! Make it in a nice baking dish or skillet, and serve with mac and cheese!
The best thing you can do when picking your poultry? HINT…it’s not removing the skin. BUY ORGANIC and FREE RANGE, if possible. Keep the hormones, nasty bacteria, and antibiotics from commercially available chickens out of your own body and get yourself a chicken that was fed its proper omnivorous diet (not an entire existence worth of grains, soy, and corn…YUCK). And contrary to popular belief, chicken skin is actually OKAY to eat. Its when the skin is cooked to a crisp and fried that it creates harmful chemicals. So, baking organic chicken with the skin on is the way to go.
Also the skin holds most of the juices and flavor, so HECK YEA I’m keeping it on!
Easy One-Pan Baked Chicken
- 2-3 lbs chicken thighs (I like mine with skin) or any part of chicken
- 1 cup broth vegetable or chicken
- 1/2 white onion (optional) quartered
- 1 handful baby carrots (optional) cut in half long ways
- 2 tbsp EVOO or avocado oil
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour broth into a baking dish or skillet.
- Add onion and carrots to bottom of baking dish, then lay chicken on top of vegetables (if you choose to bake chicken without the veggies, just add chicken after broth).
- Brush some oil over chicken, then evenly cover the tops of each chicken thigh with spice mixture. Bake for 50 min. Squeeze lemon juice over chicken once done baking, serve with a side dish or over a salad!