Here in Ohio the saying goes…”if you don’t like the weather, stay a day”. And let me tell you, there is no truer statement! Within the past week, the weather has fluctuated from below freezing to almost 60 degrees…which for me, equates to head cold. I don’t know if this has been scientifically proven, but I’m pretty sure at the first sign of a cold my culinary motivation hits an all time low, and my body craves chicken soup. Since this has been a busy work week for me, I needed something quick, easy, and not from a can (ick!).
The most effort this recipe requires is just the chopping of veggies. And say you’re really strapped for time…a lot of vegetables can be found pre-chopped for you in the produce section of most grocery stores. After that you’re really just dumping everything in a pot and letting it simmer until the rice cooks!
In replacing the traditional “noodle” component with wild rice, it helped to create a healthier, and gluten free option. And the best part is, the rice cooks right into the soup, so you don’t need to prepare it ahead of time! Can I get an AMEN?!
For my fellow sick-goers you seriously cannot go wrong with this recipe for one reason, and one reason alone…BROTH. Heated broth helps to dilate your blood vessels, allowing you to clear some of the congestion, while on a nutritional level, the broth supports your immune system and boosts detoxification. Plus you get the added benefit of vitamins from your veggies. I’m pretty sure this soup is exactly what my imaginary doctor ordered!
I know I’m talking about chicken soup here, but this is actually a really flavorful and savory recipe! Just ask my husband…I think he had 2 servings (and thats me being conservative) tonight just for himself. Simmering all of the ingredients for 45 min. gives the soup an opportunity to blend all the flavors together, including the juice from the rotisserie chicken.
And in case you’re dying to know…the turmeric is what gives this soup its “golden appearance”.
Golden Rotisserie Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 3 tbsp EVOO
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 4 stalks bok choy or celery chopped
- 1/2 8 oz pack sliced mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/3 cup wild rice uncooked
- 64 oz vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 breast meat rotisserie chicken chopped
- In a large pot, heat up oil and butter over medium eat.
- Once butter is melted, add in chopped garlic, onion, carrots, bok choy, and mushrooms and sauté. While veggies are cooking, add in spices and mix. Saute veggies for approx 8-10 min, or until onions and bok choy become soft and transparent. Once veggies are sautéed, add in wild rice and mix in.
- Stir in broth, bay leaf, and chicken. Leave on medium heat and allow to simmer for 45 min.
- Remove from heat and serve! I like to top mine with almond slices for some extra crunch, but thats totally optional!