I don’t know about you guys, but after a week long Holiday bender I need something to cleanse my soul. I’ll be the first to admit that I totally over indulge in food and drink from Christmas to New Years, but as a human, I need those care-free moments with friends and family to decompress and re-energize myself for the next year. And all is fine and dandy until January 2nd hits, and I am really pushing the limit on the strength of my work pant’s waste band.
Which is what leads me to this pretty little number…this green chicken chili detox soup recipe! This soup is packed with nutrients and green vegetables to help detoxify and re-nourish your body after the abuse of our Holiday splendor! This recipe is gluten free, nutrient dense, dairy free and easy on the tastebuds.
Not only is it super healthy AND super yummy, but I’m pretty sure it’s the only thing keeping the peace in our house right now. From time to time (usually at the beginning of the year), David and I like to cleanse ourselves of processed sugars that we ate too much of over the Holidays. This requires us to remove processed sugars from our diets for a couple of days while our bodies readjust. For David, the results are less joint pain, and for me, more energy throughout the day…and for both of us, reduced inflammation and weight loss(yay!).
But let me tell you (great results aside), the first three days are SCARY. Sugar withdrawal is a real thing people, and the two of us get super irritable for no reason, whatsoever. Thankfully after the first round of sugar detox, we were able to identify our mood swings and thus we can anticipate them and come prepared for internal turmoil!
(Cue green chicken chili detox soup)
I am not kidding when I say this soup kept the peace between us last night. Right when our sugar cravings started to kick in, we had a bowl of this for dinner and all was good and right in the world again. It’s totally filling, which helps to reduce the urge to reach for a cookie after dinner, and has so much flavor that you’ll get yourself a second serving (and don’t have to feel bad about it)!
What this recipe should really be called is the MARRIAGE SAVING HOLIDAY DETOX and REJUVENATION SOUP…but then such claims would require further studies, and aint nobody got time for that.
Packed with greens like celery, leeks, cilantro, avocado, and lime juice, to help support detoxifications, and garlic, onion, broth, and turmeric to help with inflammation…this is a must have recipe for you to make at home!
You can go the route of baking your own organic chicken and hand shredding, which this recipe has the instructions for, or get yourself an organic rotisserie chicken to save yourself some time, and in which case, would make this a true one-pot soup!
Hope you guys enjoy!
Green Chicken Chili Detox Soup
- 4 tbsp EVOO or avocado oil
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 4 tomatillos cubed
- 4 stalks celery chopped into thin slices
- 2 stalks leeks chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt, pepper, and turmeric each
- 1 16 oz can navy beans rinsed
- 1 16 oz can salsa verde
- 1-1.5 lbs organic chicken cooked and shredded
- 32 oz organic chicken broth
- 1/2 lime juice
- cilantro garnish
- avocado garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a small baking dish. Place chicken in greased baking dish, brush with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 min. Once finished baking, take two forks and shred chicken.
- While chicken is baking, take a large pot and sauté garlic, onion, and spices in oil over medium heat for approximately 5 min.
- Add tomatillos, celery, leeks and sauté for 10 min.
- Stir in broth, navy beans, salsa verde, and pulled chicken. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 min.
- Before serving, mix in lime juice. Garnish with cilantro and avocado before serving.