’Tis the season for colds, am I right?!
These little gems tend to make an appearance at our place at the first sign of a head cold, and for good reason. Its basically a snack bar containing multiple SUPERFOODS, loaded with antioxidants to help you get your mojo back! Not only are these gluten free, paleo, and super nourishing, but the cool temperature of the berry compote will soothe even the sorest of throats.
Even though these bars have a particularly beneficial effect during the cold season, these are absolutely year-round quality snacks you can make with little time and effort. Make them for your family to grab as a healthy snack after school, early morning breakfast on the go, or even serve as a dessert option at your next dinner party. Either way you serve ‘em up, they’ll go fast!
This recipe contains blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and dates, with a little additional topping love from the goji berry! The gluten free paleo crust, takes all of 15 min of baking, and the delicious, all-natural compote, takes 10 min on stovetop. Freeze for an hour, or overnight, cut into bars, and store in the fridge!
Berries , like the ones included in this recipe, contain high levels of antioxidants, which act to neutralize naturally occurring free radicals that damage cells in our bodies. By incorporating foods high in antioxidants to your diet, you can help to counteract the long term effects of free radicals in the body. Such benefits include skin health, immune system support, heart health, eye health, and memory function.
Antioxidant Rich Mixed Berry Bars
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz organic blackberries
- 6 oz organic raspberries
- 6 oz organic strawberries approx. 13 strawberries
- 4 tbsp almond flour
- 5 dates pitted
- 1/2 cup water
- goji berries sprinkle on top
- sliced almonds sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together almond flour and shredded coconut.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together eggs, honey, and vanilla extract.
- Pour liquid mixture into bowl with dry ingredients and mix well.
- Take crust mixture and transfer it to lined baking dish. Pat down crust mixture so that it is evenly distributed across the surface of the baking dish. (I used the back of a spatula to thin the crust out.)
- Bake in oven for 15 min.
- While crust is baking, begin fruit compote. Prepare fruit by rinsing, remove stems from strawberries and cut in half, and remove pits from dates.
- Add water and all berries to saucepan and turn up to high heat. Stir berries periodically until mixture begins to boil. Let boil for 1-2 min, then reduce to medium heat. Take a potato masher and periodically mash the fruit mixture.
- Let sit on medium heat for an additional 8-10 min, while periodically stirring and mashing. Remove from heat, stir in almond flour and let cool.
- Once your crust is finished, set out to cool. Once the crust and berry compote have cooled off to room temp, pour compote mixture onto crust. Spread an even layer over crust, sprinkle with goji berries and almonds.
- Freeze for minimum 1 hr, for best results freeze over night. Remove from baking dish, pull out parchment paper, and cut into squares. Store in fridge and enjoy!