Anyone in need of a healthy Christmas brunch idea?! Cause this is where its at! A giant dish full of sweet potatoes, eggs, and BBQ pulled chicken, all baked together in marital bliss!
This really doesn’t require all that much effort, just a little planning ahead of time for the chicken, but can easily be thrown together before the Christmas chaos ensues. Cause as we all know, the kiddos need fuel to sustain their energy while opening gifts!
The base consists of a sweet potato hash, which is a combination of cubed sweet potatoes mixed with chopped onions and some spices. Bake the sweet potato hash to soften up the veggies and then crack the eggs directly on top. Add some pulled chicken before throwing back in the oven, and then top with all the goodies!
In order to save me some time, I made my super easy Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken the night before, stored in the refrigerator over night, and then added it directly to the skillet before baking the next day.
You’ll likely second guess this is good for you, because it’s entirely too yummy, but its actually quite nutrient dense AND gluten free (holllllaaaaaa)! The egg and chicken are a strong source of protein, while the sweet potatoes offer a variety of vitamins and healthy carbs. Adding avocado will provide healthy fats and increase absorption of fat-soluble vitamins found in the sweet potatoes.
Starting your day off with a nutrient dense brunch always makes me feel better about all the Christmas cookies I let myself eat later. Because balance, right?
Once ready to serve, plop that sucker in the middle of the table, and watch as everyone digs in! For the record…this totally pairs well with some champagne or a mimosa. Just saying…
But before you dig in, don’t forget to thank your sous chef! Maybe even throw them a little something under the table 😉
BBQ Chicken Egg Skillet with Sweet Potato Hash
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 3 tbsp EVOO or avocado oil
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- 10 eggs
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 cups BBQ pulled chicken
- sriracha drizzled
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes and chop onion. Throw into skillet or baking dish. Add oil and mix well, making sure to coat veggies thoroughly.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of salt, pepper, and garlic over top of veggies. Bake for 30 min.
- Crack eggs over sweet potato hash so that it covers the entire dish. Drizzle sriracha over eggs (optional). Layer on BBQ pulled chicken, and bake for another 30 min.
- Top with sliced avocado and garnish with cilantro before serving!