Guys. I have a new obsession this winter…CAFE.MOCHAS. I seriously don’t know what took me so long to try these, but holy guacamole I’m so glad I did! I love having my black coffee in the morning, and then to add hot chocolate to it?! YES, YES, and more YES. Whoever first crafted this heavenly, caffeinated, chocolatey sip from heaven…I commend you.
So obviously I want to make this a winter staple in my house for those snow day pick me ups, or when the winter blues are sucking the life out of my happy hormones. The problem with coffee shop mochas, albeit they are DE.LIC.IOUS., is that they are full of sugar and calories. And if I’m being honest, I would really like to enjoy my mocha with a side of cookie and not feel bad about it later.
And that’s how I set forth on mission, Super-Yummy-Cafe-Mocha-With-Side-Of-Guilt-Free. I used cocoa powder with almond milk as the hot chocolate base, and honey as the sweetener. Added some homemade black coffee with a little vanilla extract, drank it and then me and my mocha lived happily ever after. JK JK…anyone who knows me, knows I cant leave a good thing well enough alone, sooooooo…
I added a little holiday twist! PEPPERMINT and CINNAMON. Don’t worry folks, not both of those flavors together. Two separate mocha flavors, because my husband likes to remind me that everyone on the planet doesn’t like peppermint as much as I do. So there we have it, and now you can have it at home too…whichever way you prefer!
And the best part…for the added flavor, all you need is a candy cane or cinnamon stick (how fun?!). For peppermint…use the candy cane as your stir stick.
And for cinnamon, use a cinnamon stick for stirring! Or if you don’t have a stick available, use a 1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder for flavor.
Homemade Holiday Cafe Mocha
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp raw honey
- 2 cups black coffee
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- candy cane (optional)
- cinnamon stick or powder (optional)
- Start brewing a pot of coffee or 2 cups from Keurig.
- In a medium pot, pour in almond milk and cocoa powder and whisk over medium heat.
- Once milk and cocoa mixture starts to bubble, stir in honey. Add vanilla extract, then coffee, and stir to combine all ingredients. Ladle or pour into individual mugs.
- For peppermint flavor, add a candy cane as your stir stick. For cinnamon, add a cinnamon stick or 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder. Stir and enjoy! Yields enough for 3 medium drinks, or 4 small.