Truth be told, if I wasn’t so blatantly Irish, I would probably assume I’m of Mexican descent. ‘Cause daaaaaaamnnnn do I love to make some Mexican food. What I love about Mexican cuisine is that the ingredients are always so fresh, colorful, flavorful…and oh my lord CILANTRO.
Let’s just get this out of the way now…I.LOVE.CILANTRO. I know there’s some weird genetic thing that you either have the cilantro-loving gene, or you think it tastes like soap. Well…my deepest condolences for all those aboard the cilantro soap train, because this herb tastes like magic!
Now with that being said, I’m sure it comes to no surprise that this delicious Mexican Salad is topped with a cilantro-avocado dressing! I’m a huge fan of making my own dressings so I know exactly what’s in it. That way, nothing unwanted sneaks into my meal (like added sugars, inflammatory oils, or unnatural chemicals). Make in small batches, so not to waste any, because natural ingredients tend to be more perishable.
What’s great about this salad is that it uses simple ingredients and requires little hands on time from you! There are three main areas of focus, veggies, steak, and dressing. Everything else just needs to be dumped on at the end!
- I use different colored mini bell peppers and a red onion, cut thinly with a mandoline
- Coat in oil and spices…I’m a huge fan of using paprika and garlic on my mexi veggies
- Marinate your top sirloin in oil and garlic cloves for as long as you can. I’ve done up to 24 hrs before.
- Grill until cooked to your desired temperature, or cook on stove top over medium heat (high heat will burn the outside while leaving the inside uncooked).
- Take all fresh ingredients and add to a blender. Blend until well combined!
- Avocado, cilantro, garlic, lime, oil, and spices.
Chop your romaine lettuce, rinse a can of black beans, and as always…add a little somethin’ somethin’ for the CRUNCH! Feel free to have fun with this and mix up the ingredients as you please! Adding some cheese, quinoa, or different veggies can definitely add a fun twist to this Mexi Steak Salad 🙂
Mexi Steak Salad
- 1-1.5 lbs top sirloin steak free range or organic
- 4 tbsp EVOO or avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup mini bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper each
- 1 large head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed
- 1 avocado
- 3/4 cup EVOO or avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper each
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lime juice
- 1 whole bunch of cilantro remove leaves from stems
- 1 cup crushed gluten free chips I use Food Should Taste Good Gluten Free Multigrain Tortilla Chip
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tbsp oil and chopped garlic. Using a brush or spoon, rub garlic oil on front and back of steak. Wrap in tinfoil and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Using a mandoline, thinly slice mini bell peppers (hold from top at the stem and start slicing from bottom), and red onion.
- Take sliced veggies and dump into a broil safe baking dish. Mix in 2 tbsp oil, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Broil for 20 min, mixing midway through.
- While veggies are baking, grill steak to your desired temp, or cook on stovetop. For a medium steak, cook on medium heat for approximately 5-6 min each side.
- For dressing, add all ingredients to a blender and blend until all ingredients are combined well.
- Rinse and chop romaine lettuce and place in large serving bowl. Take a can of black beans and rinse. You can leave as is, or heat up on a skillet with oil.
- Once steak is finished cooking, cut into thin slices and lay on top of romaine. Top romaine with remaining ingredients...veggies, beans, and crushed chips.
- Drizzle dressing on top and serve!