Everyone please give a round of applause for this recipe, as it hails all the way from my homeland…New Jersey! I have to admit, I tried it for the first time in Ohio when my Jersey-native friend Kristen blessed us with her mom’s sangria one fine evening, and let me tell you…this baby packs a delightful punch (as we soon found out)!
Now, if we could all take a moment to bow our heads and give some hella thanks to the NeiderHAUS (ahhhh see what I did there?) family for bestowing this sangria upon our lives. I can now die happy…and sufficiently buzzed 🙂
But for real, make this for any outdoor gathering and you’ll be MVC (most valuable contributor)! And to make matters even better, this recipe is oh-so-easy. The key is to get high quality orange juice. You can freshly squeeze it yourself, or buy a 100% juice with oranges as the only ingredient listed.
Where you can save some cash money is on the liquor. No need to go for top shelf liquor, a decently priced brandy, triple sec, and wine will do the trick. I like to use the Costco Kirkland brand Cabernet because it gets you some serious bang for your buck!
Another key to help increase flavor is to let the liquors soak in fruit before adding wine and serving. What I typically do is this…
- The morning of, chop up your fruit and add to a tupperware pitcher or large container.
- Take equal parts (i.e. 1 cup) brandy, triple sec, orange juice, and pour in with the fruit. Stir and let sit in fridge.
- Before serving, transfer to a large pitcher and mix in wine.
Can I make this sangria with white wine?
Absolutely! Keep everything else the same, just substitute red for white. Pinot Grigio is a great option for white!
Does it matter what fruit I use?
I’d say to go for whatever fruit makes you happy! I think orange slices complement the OJ nicely (and they look pretty), I love strawberries, and apples are inexpensive.
Now that my sangria brain is firing on all cylinders…you could do a Caribbean vibe and go with some kiwi, mango, or pineapple with a white sangria (ohhhh that sounds yummy)!
If I take this to someone else’s house, I usually bring a double batch in my serving pitcher, and then fill a tupperware pitcher with fruit and liquor, and then my extra bottle of wine in tow. You know…for refills!
I hope you guys have as much fun making this as you do drinking it…enjoy!
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 cup triple sec
- 1 cup high quality orange juice
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1 orange sliced
- 1 apple chopped
- 5 strawberries cut in half, stems removed
- Chop all of your fruit and add it to a large pitcher.
- Pour in brandy, triple sec, and orange juice. Let the liquors and OJ soak in the fruit until ready to serve.
- Once ready to serve, stir in wine. Now your sangria is ready to enjoy!