SWEET POTATOES, BBQ PULLED CHICKEN, and GUAC you don’t need to pay extra for…need I say more people?! David and I had ourselves one of these tonight for dinner, while re-watching the Buckeye game for a THIRD time. I know, I know. We need a hobby right? lol As if our addict tendencies aren’t susceptible enough, we are totally obsessed with these BBQ Pulled Chicken Sweet Potatoes now!
This was the perfect meal to accompany our Sunday football binge watch session, and it easily makes enough for 4 people (or just save the leftovers for later in the week)! I threw some chicken in the crock pot, did some house cleaning and Christmas decor prep, then baked the sweet potatoes before we were ready to eat. Once the chicken and sweet potatoes were done cooking, I sautéed some veggies, made a bowl of guac, and then loaded that puppy up!
Not only is this dish super satisfying and filling, but the sweet potato carries a lot of beneficial nutritional value as well! Sweet potatoes are high in fiber and various different vitamins, such as A, B, C, and manganese. I usually try to consume sweet potatoes with some fat, in this case the avocado in the guacamole, as fat is known to increase Vitamin A absorption.
This dish can definitely be incorporated into a week day meal by setting the crock pot cook temperature to low and cooking the chicken for 7-8 hours. That way after work, or after the kids get out of school, you’ll have most of the work done ahead of time, and can use your time on other things!
BBQ Pulled Chicken Sweet Potato
- 2-4 small-medium sized sweet potatoes 1 for each person being served
- 1 tbsp EVOO or avocado oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1-1.25 lbs organic chicken breast or tenders
- 1/2 cup broth chicken or vegetable
- 1 cup favorite BBQ Sauce I use Sweet Baby Rays
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper each
- 1 bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup red onion cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp EVOO or avocado oil
- 4 green onion chopped
- 2 medium sized avocados
- 1 tbsp red onion chopped
- 1 small roma tomato chopped
- 1 tbsp pickled jalapeno chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 lime squeezed
- Add broth to crock pot, and lay chicken on top. Grind salt and pepper to cover chicken. Add BBQ sauce and cook on high heat for 3 hours, or low heat for 7-8 hours.
- When chicken is done cooking, take 2 forks and pull apart chicken in the crock pot. Leave on warm heat and set aside until time to serve.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Take sweet potatoes, rinse, and cut a line down the middle of each one going 3/4 of the way through.
- Melt butter, oil, and chopped garlic together in a bowl. When melted, take a brush or spoon and cover the skin of each sweet potato.
- Take covered sweet potatoes and bake on a foil-lined baking dish for 50-60 min. Potatoes are done cooking when you can easily poke with a knife.
- While potatoes are baking, cut up 1 bell pepper, and 1/4 cup onion. Add 2 tbsp oil to a pan and sauté vegetables over medium heat (approx. 10-12 min). Set aside until potatoes are done cooking.
- Right before serving, start to make guacamole. Take 2 avocados, cut in half, scoop out pit, and throw flesh into a mixing bowl. Take a potato masher and mash avocado until it has a chunky consistency. Take chopped onion, tomatoes, pickled jalapeños, cilantro, lime, and mix together.
- When potatoes are done baking, let cool, and then pull apart from where the line was cut. Using a tong, add a layer of veggies and pulled chicken along the center of the sweet potato. Top with a scoop of guacamole and green onions.
- Serve and enjoy!